ZipID Pty Ltd ACN 166 644 702 ("ZipID"), part of Equifax, operates to protect the privacy of individuals while fighting identity fraud.
We do this by providing convenient and trusted face-to-face verification of identity solutions underpinned by secure purpose-built technology.
ZipID operates on the fundamental principle that privacy, and the personal control of identity information, is of growing concern to Australian society. ZipID understands the importance of meeting the trust individuals place in us when being verified using our services.
ZipID ensures that our actions (and those of our agents) are compliant at all times with the privacy principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth).
Why does ZipID collect personal information?
The very nature of ZipID’s verification of identity services means that individuals being verified disclose to us and our agents (where applicable) personal information, including that contained within recognised identity documents.
The information you provide to us or that we collect from you will only ever be used or shared by us for the purposes the information was collected for as consented to by you.
What does ZipID use your personal information for?
ZipID respects the fundamental requirement to handle your personal information in a responsible and secure fashion. As such, we take very seriously our commitment that we only use or share information we collect about you under the following strictly defined circumstances:
- providing you with the services requested by you;
- checking identification documents and credentials against their originating official databases;
- conveying your personal information to your nominated transaction service provider who will be relying on your verified identification (e.g. bank, mortgage broker, solicitor or conveyancer);
- confirming to third parties that you have been successfully or unsuccessfully verified by ZipID to enable trusted dealings with you;
- dealing with requests, enquiries, complaints, and other customer service activities;
- developing, improving and communicating our services to you;
- the operation and administration of accounts or subscriptions that you have with us;
- payment processing or reconciling payments;
- carrying out certain checks (for example, fraud prevention processes);
- carrying out any activity in connection with a legal, governmental or regulatory requirement that we have to comply with, or in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution;
- interacting with companies or organisations with whom ZipID has a business relationship for the purpose of enabling the performance of our services
We may also use your personal information for other purposes directly related to those set out above which would be reasonably expected by you.
What personal information does ZipID collect?
The type of personal information we collect or which we may hold about you may include:
- date of birth;
- telephone number;
- e-mail address;
- images and details of – and information contained in – identity documentation (such as passport, driver’s licence, etc);
- photo of you;
- payment information;
- proposed property dealing information;
- your user name and password;
- details of your nominated transaction service provider who is relying on your identification; and
- information on how you use our products and services including your Internet Protocol ("IP") address, server address, domain name and information on your browsing activity when visiting our website.
How does ZipID collect personal information?
We collect personal information in the following ways:
- when you, or a transaction services provider instructed by you to act on your behalf books services from us (online or over the telephone);
- when ZipID’s field representatives conduct our survey in a face-to-face setting and you provide documentation to us;
- when an authorised user of the ZipID mobile App conducts an identity verification meeting with you;
- when you provide us your details for customer service issues; and
- when you visit our website.
ZipID also holds information about persons who are employed by organisations that have a business association with ZipID.
What if you don’t want to provide ZipID with personal information?
You have no obligation to provide any information requested by us. However, if you choose not to provide information we will be unable to provide you with our services, or carry on the other activities set out above.
Where is your personal information stored?
ZipID will only store personally identifiable information (such as images of your verification of identity documents) in Australia.
Is your personal information secure with ZipID?
Security of your personal information is paramount to ZipID. As a consequence we employ rigorous best practice standards to ensure unauthorised access and disclosure of your information to insiders or outsiders does not occur. This includes the use of strong end-to-end encryption while data is in transit and at rest; appropriate user access and control systems; enhanced user authentication; and IT system security reviews.
Can you access your personal information from ZipID?
Upon request ZipID will take reasonable steps to let you know what sort of personal information is retained by us, for what purposes and how we collect, use and disclose it. ZipID will also allow you to access your personal information held by us subject to you authenticating yourself to our reasonable satisfaction in accordance with our authentication procedures. We will require you to provide proof of your identify before we provide you access to the information. We may charge you $20 for this service before proceeding. As set out in the Privacy Act we may not always be able to give you access to all of the information we hold about you.
You can ask us to correct any personal information that we hold about you.
How long does ZipID retain personal information for?
ZipID will only retain information collected from you for as long as is necessary for business, regulatory or legal reasons. Generally that is 9 years for specific information obtained during verification of identity. Other de-identified information may be kept for longer periods. We may keep a record that you have been successfully verified on an ongoing basis.
When no longer needed for the above reasons, ZipID will completely and irrevocably delete your personal information.
Additional information for users of our Website
If you visit zipid.com.au (the "Website") to read, browse or download information, our system may record information such as the date and time of your visit to the Website, the pages accessed and any information downloaded. This information is used (i) for statistical and reporting purposes; (ii) for website administration, security and maintenance purposes; and (iii) to direct you to material on our Website that we believe will be of interest to you.
Like many websites, our Website may use "cookies" from time to time. Cookies are small text files that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your web browser to enable our systems to recognise your browser and your log-in status. Cookies may also be used to record non-personal information such as the date, time or duration of your visit, or the pages accessed, for website administration, statistical and maintenance purposes. Any such information will be aggregated and not linked to particular individuals. The default settings of internet browsers usually allow cookies, but users can easily erase cookies from their hard-drive, block all cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Please note that some parts of the Website may not function fully for users that disallow cookies.
The Website may contain links/ plug-ins to other sites. We are not responsible for content of, or the privacy practices or policies of, those sites.
If at any time you are concerned by the way ZipID or its agents handle privacy, we encourage you to write to us at:
ZipID Pty Ltd
PO Box 13294 George Street
Brisbane Q 4003
or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you be dissatisfied with ZipID’s response, or if you require more information relating to Australian privacy regulations, we suggest you contact:
Office of the Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
1300 363 992